What the world would have looked like at the beginning of the millennium if it were reduced to a village of 1,000 people?
- There would be 584 Asians, 124 Africans, 136 North and South Americans, 95 Eastern/Western Europeans, 55 Russians.
- 520 would be female, 480 would be male.
- 330 would be children.
- 650 would lack a telephone at home. 500 would never have used a telephone. 500 would have to walk two hours to the nearest telephone.
- 335 would be illiterate.
- 333 would lack access to safe, clean drinking water.
- 70 would own automobiles.
- 10 would have a college degree.
- 1 would own a computer.
– taken from an EC newsletter of 1999.